Oatmeal is an affordable, easy-to-make, and nutritious breakfast food ideal for the outdoor lifestyle. When you're looking for that perfect healthy, hearty snack to keep you fueled up for a long day of hiking, few foods make better trail treats than a scrumptious bowl of oatmeal. So if you want to warm your belly and satisfy your appetite during your next camping trip, make up some of these delicious DIY instant oat packets and have them ready to go when you start to feel hungry!
Begin all your instant oatmeal packets with these fundamental ingredients:
- ½ C. instant oats
- A pinch of salt
- 2 tsp. dried milk
- Sweetener of choice (optional)
- Sealable baggies
Once your basic packets are made, mix in these extra ingredients for additional flavor:
- Cinnamon Raisin Oatmeal—¼ tsp. cinnamon and a handful of raisins
- Maple Bacon Oatmeal—Handful of cooked bacon bits and slivered almonds, topped with a pinch of cinnamon and maple syrup
- Berries and Cream Oatmeal—Freeze-dried fruit of choice and 2 tsp. non-dairy powdered creamer
- Banana Walnut Oatmeal—Handful of dried bananas and 1 Tbsp. diced walnuts
- Maple Brown Sugar Oatmeal—½ tsp. brown sugar and a handful of diced almonds, drizzled with maple syrup
- Pumpkin Pie Oatmeal—A pinch of cinnamon, ground cloves, and ground nutmeg
- Chocolate Pomegranate Oatmeal—Handful of pomegranate seeds, 1 Tbsp. dark cocoa powder, and ½ Tbsp. vanilla extract
- Fruit and Seed Oatmeal—Handful of dried cranberries and raisins with 2 tsp. chia seeds
Making Your Oatmeal:
Step 1: Bring 1 cup of water to a rolling boil in a saucepan over the fire or on your camp stove.
Step 2: Add in your instant oat packet and reduce the heat.
Step 3: Simmer for about 10 minutes and stir periodically.
Step 4: Remove from heat and let cool.
Step 5: Enjoy!
Do you have any other fun oatmeal flavor variations that you’d like to share with our readers. Leave your ideas in the comments!