The Hobo Dinner is a staple of the camping trip and makes creating meals a cinch! Everyone can add their own ingredients to their own packet so it’s sure to please even the pickiest of eaters! The best part, you can make these over the campfire or in the oven! Once you’re done eating, the whole packet gets thrown away making clean up a breeze!
- Heave Duty Aluminum Foil (Don’t use the regular. It’ll leak and your food is more likely to burn)
- Ground Beef (You’ll want 85% lean or better. Too fatty and you’ll have a greasy mess!)
- Any other veggies you may want. Green peppers, mushrooms, squash, etc!
- Garlic powder
- Seasoning Salt
- If you’re cooking over a fire you want the portion of the fire you’re cooking on to be just smoldering coals. They have a good amount of heat but they aren’t so hot you’re going to burn the outside of the food before the inside cooks. If cooking in an oven, preheat to 350.
- Pull out sheets of foil for each packet. You’ll need them a bit bigger than what your meal will be so you can close them up!
- Divide your ground beef into portions. These can range in size depending on who you’re serving, but remember that smaller packets will cook faster so keep an eye on them!
- Place your meat portions on each piece of foil and season with seasoning salt.
- Top the meat with onion and then place the rest of your veggies around and on top.
- Season with garlic powder and pepper
- Place a pad of butter on top
- Close up the foil by bringing the two shorter sides up and folding them down together. Then fold up the other ends.
- Place in the fire or oven for 15-20 minutes. Be sure to check on it and put it back in if the veggies are not tender enough.
Enjoy the fantastic meal you’ve just made! We really like the idea that the person who enjoys a lot of things can have the extra veggies and other items they may want, but not have to listen to the more picky eaters complain.